14 July 2004

Megapost

I really didn't want to come back here on monday to go to work on Tuesday. I think it's one of the first times that I have *wanted* to stay home. I really, really just wanted to stay a little longer... maybe a couple more days. It's just so *nice* to be at home... good food, nice bed, loving parents... And I was just not looking forward to going back to work again. Not because it's "hard" or anything like that... it's just not.. interesting.

The Phun Philled Phi Mu Weekend (my own name ^_^) was nice, though. I arrived on Thursday, about 3.00, only to realize that the chorale was meeting at 3.30. So I rushed down and registered, got tons of papers, and rehearsed songs to be sung for dinner that night. When I signed up, I totally thought we'd be singing traditional Phi Mu songs, but we instead mostly sung Phi Mu words to other songs. Which is fun, too :)

So, that started the Convention of with a bang. Nothing slowed down from there! We went from meetings to break to meetings to meals to workshops to break to meals! Sometimes it felt as though we didn't have time to breathe! But it was SO neat to look around and know that *everyone* - every, single, person - in that room was a Phi Mu. And, honestly, the whole of Phi Mu is kinda like our chapter of it - very varied in personality.

There were a lot of awards presented during Convention, spread out over all of the meals (lunches & dinners), which is a good thing, because last year (apparently) all of the awards were given out during the Carnation Banquet. I can't even imagine how long and boring that would be. However, in any case it was exciting because Phi Alpha won a COB certificate for successfully COBing a lot of members during the biennium (or something like that).

It was a really inspiring experience over all, and I also learned a few things which could be helpful. Convention got me pumped up over Phi Mu all over again. Whooo!

The Carnation Banquet was a *lot* of fun! The chorale sung some *great* songs, and the meal was really good. We also got Convention charms as favors [aside: One of my favorite things were the favors we got at every meal]. However the BEST EVER part of the evening was winning the Lila May Chapman Scholarship Award. TOTALLY jaw-dropping for me. I had actually tuned out the speaker for a second, when all of a sudden I *thought* I heard her say "Phi Alpha" ... I said "what?!" totally not believing, then I heard "McDaniel College" and I started walking up - I had this HUGE ASS smile on my face, and there on the screen it said "Phi Alpha Chapter" as the winner! When I received the GIANT platter from Kathy Williams, she asked if I was shocked - I nodded. I think it was rather apparent by the look on my face. I was SO excited! It's sad, but I TOTALLY wasn't expecting an Honorable Mention in an award, much less to WIN one! Nonetheless, I'm very proud of our chapter :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey...its Allyson. You should have called me up while you were at home :-P But, I can understand if you were pretty busy. Anyway...seems like you had a really good time at the convention. Congrats on that award!! Friends forever! Talk to you later chica