03 March 2006

A life of craft

I have been hit by the crafting bug lately. I can't get enough of witty little projects that are beautiful and still functional.

I binged on Martha's site over the course of the past couple of weeks. I don't care what anyone says, Martha has some awesome ideas! I think her job would be my ideal one. Just sitting around, on top of your crafting/cooking/homekeeping empire, coming up with new ideas (as if it's that simple). Granted, I know it came by for her with a lot of work (which is another reason not to knock her).

(Ah, parenthetical notation, how I love thee.)

In any case, I seriously want to spend all of my time making things. Fun things, pretty things, useful things. Perhaps this has to do with the fact that I am making my own Wedding Invites. 50 invites - no problem! My only problem is perfectionism.

(note to self - photo corners)

I am excited though, because I'm making cupcakes for Phi Mu Founder's Day, with cute little quatrefoils on top. Should be cute. I was going to make my own (I figured I probably had enough ingredients for a basic white cake), but then they had Pillsbury cake mix on sale at Safeway ($1!), so I just got two boxes. Plus, I didn't find the cake-to-cupcake conversion in my BH&G cookbook until after I bought the mixes.

I'm not sure what kind of icing to do, though. I want to use a nice white icing, so I am thinking a powdered sugar one, but with very little milk to make it more spreadable. Who knows?! I think it will be a trial-and-error thing.

In any case, I feel stuck sometimes. How many times have I wished that I could be a housewife/homemaker? I wish I could spend time at home and take pride in the way it looks, in the meals that I cook. I wish I could work part-time (at most!). All-in-all, I wish I could revert to a '50s-era housewife.

Poufy skirts, aprons, and roasts, oh my!

"Dressing up" (hats to gloves!) to go out on errands.

I yearn for a feeling of simplicity and basic pleasures. Alas - not in the near future. I have to fit house-time in on evenings and weekends, and errands can only be done on the weekends, at which time I can leave Amelie alone without feeling guilty (poor thing!).

This post has stimulated my thoughts surrounding femininity and feminism, perhaps I'll organize some ideas on the subject.

No comments: