05 February 2003

So, last night as I was falling asleep, I was pondering the fourth dimension - not some weird otherwordly type thing, but what the actual fourth dimension should be. The only problem is that I don't seem to possess the genius in order to take the one step into understanding. I have enough intelligence and logic to lead up to the point of - something. But I can't take that last step.

Essentially, my logic is this: To make 2-d, you put two 1-d objects together (ie: two lines create a plane). To create 3-d, you put two 2-d objects together (two planes make a 3-d environment). So, to go along with this logic, in order to create 4-d, two 3-d objects would be juxtaposed. However, juxtaposing 3-d objects in a 3-d world just makes another 3-d object. I cannot even begin to imagine how one could create four dimensions - but that may stem from the fact that we do live in a 3-d world and can only understand dimensions equal and less than our own.

In computer science, 4-d arrays can be created - but are definitely hard to understand, simply for the fact that it is rather impossible to visualize.

Some propose that the fourth dimension is time - so that an object that morphs with time is in fact 4-d.

I just wish I could gain some insight. Because I really am frustrated by my lack of genius - enough intelligence to think this far but not enough to actually come to a conclusion.

No comments: